Angel Flight South Central's (AFSC) primary mission is to arrange free flights for patients requiring scheduled medical treatment not available to them locally. This can include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and a variety of other specialized therapies or surgeries. In addition, we will help patients travel for qualified second medical opinions recommended by their physician. Other humanitarian requests are considered on a case by case basis.
Angel Flight South Central does not require that a passenger meet financial guidelines to qualify for a flight, however we ask that our passengers demonstrate a compelling need before they ask for transportation, as each mission represents a significant cost to a volunteer pilot. Our pilots donate their time, aircraft, and all expenses involved to help people who otherwise would not be able to travel for medical treatment or for other compelling humanitarian reasons.
You will find all the forms you need available for download below. If you have further questions, please call our office toll free at 888-500-0433.
Note: We do not provide Air Ambulance or emergency rescue services.
The following criteria need to be met for all Angel Flight South Central passengers:
- All passengers must be ambulatory and able to climb in and out of a small plane by stepping up 16 to 20 inches with limited assistance.
- Passengers must be able to sit upright for the duration of the flight (seats do not recline).
- Angel Flight South Central is best used for flights that are less than 900 miles from the origin city to the destination city.
- A qualified doctor, nurse, or social worker needs to complete and sign the Medical Passenger Request Form (click here to download). It is the patient's responsibility to ensure we get the proper paperwork in a timely manner.
- To allow sufficient time for processing and finding a pilot, paperwork should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the day the flight is needed.
- Passengers must not require any medical treatment during the flight. A small aluminum oxygen canister is permitted on the flight, but other large pieces of medical equipment are not permitted.
- Luggage cannot exceed 25 pounds total (all passengers combined), packed in not more than two (2) small soft-sided backpacks or duffel bags. A typical personal small purse does not count towards this baggage allowance. Any special equipment such as oxygen, walkers, safety seats, etc. counts towards the 25 pound total allowance.
If you qualify for an Angel Flight, please have a social worker or doctor complete the request form and fax or email it to our office.
If you've already taken your first Angel Flight, requesting another one is easy:
- Request your doctor or social worker to complete the Medical Passenger Request Form (click here to download) and provide our office with the new travel dates being requested.
- If your medical condition has not changed, then a new medical release form is not required. If you have had surgery since your last Angel Flight, then a doctor will need to reconfirm that you are able to fly in a non-pressurized plane.
- Once we receive the paperwork, we will contact you to confirm your upcoming travel dates and try to find a pilot for your new flights.
- If you have not heard from us, please follow up to make sure your paperwork has been received by our office.